So, I have discovered what this is. It’s me proving to myself that after all the crap this year has throw my way, most of which will heal but never truly mend, I can still be myself. It’s not about any technique, or theme, or even about doing this every day. It’s about doing it at all.
Unicorn ex libris, Oct 1
Kingfisher studies, Oct 10
Wolf study, Oct 12
Owl study, Oct 13
Inktober – Llelo
Aedan, Oct 15
Rhys, Oct 16
I look at the world and I notice it’s turning
While my guitar gently weeps
Jan. Watercolour on Canson Héritage cold-pressed paper, 21×30 cm.
Two weeks ago, my brother died of cancer.
We made music together for twenty-seven years. I still can’t believe I will never see him again, sing with him, and cut out silly little things with typos from newspapers to send him on postcards.
They played “While my guitar gently weeps” at his funeral.
Not only one but several people have contacted me recently, asking whether I had a Patreon, and since then, I’ve been thinking about how to set one up for me – which is a bit unusual, it seems, as most Patreon artists seem to be relying mainly on digital content as giveaways, and most are digital artists.
Think of Patreon as an ongoing Kickstarter – you sponsor an artist over a longer period of time, and you get goodies in return. The cruncher is that the whole idea of Patreon is to run for months or longer, and allow the artist to focus on things he or she loves to do, which of course means that the rewards need to strike a balance between what makes the patrons happy and what the artist can give and still be productive.
Here’s some reward ideas I am thinking of offering. I’d be glad to hear your ideas, too – if you could imagine supporting me, please weigh in in the comments!
Low reward tiers (~1-5 Euros):
- Shoutouts on my website
- Access to previews, tutorials, art before I upload them; access to exclusive wallpapers, avatars, and hi-res line art to colour (patrons only)
- raffle tickets for prints, original art, and commissions. These will start small, but will bet bigger and more elaborate as “milestone goals” are reached
- chance to weigh in on what I’ll be drawing
- chance to request tutorials
Mid reward tiers (~10-50 Euros):
- all of the above plus:
- Stickers, prints, postcards, bookmarks of my art (actual tangible rewards every month)
- more raffle tickets (3 instead of one) for commission and original art giveaway raffle
High reward tiers (~50-100 Euros per month – I can dream, right?)
- all of the above, plus:
- monthly facsimile prints
- more raffle tickets (5 instead of one) for commission and original art giveaway raffle
- Patreon bookmarks created for all high-tier patrons; the lineart will be the same for all and printed, but it will be coloured by hand
And don’t worry: I will NOT restrict my general posting habits and uploads for the public – sponsoring me is an extra reward if you like my art and would like to support me creating it, not blackmail. ;)
If you have any more ideas that are easily doable in higher numbers, and would make you happy, let’s hear them! :)